If you don’t live close enough to The Stone Grill to take your mother out this Mother’s Day, why not cook her a lovely steak dinner instead? While steak is often viewed as a masculine ingredient, when cooked right, it appeals to everyone. That is exactly what this lime-marinated flank steak recipe will do.
The recipe is light, delicate and brings out the best in the meat. I know at least three females who love it as I have cooked this for them and they couldn’t get enough!
Lime-marinated flank steak recipe
If you buy good quality meat from your butcher, this lower cost cut packs some serious flavour punch.
- 1kg fresh flank steak
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60ml Thai fish sauce
- 100ml soy sauce
- 5 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 125ml water
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, orange juice, water, sugar and chilli flakes into a bowl and combine. Add the steak and cover completely. Marinade for around 24 hours.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Remove as much liquid as possible and allow the steak to come up to room temperature.
- Heat a skillet pan or grill to a high heat and cook for three minutes each side. You can cook for longer if you prefer.
- Allow the steak to rest for a couple of minutes, slide and serve.
Serve with a fresh herb salad or chips depending on your tastes. For the herb salad, combine chopped fresh parsley, basil, cilantro, tarragon and 2 juiced limes. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to taste and season. Toss everything together in a bowl and serve.
As you can see, this is a very light steak dish that would go great on Mother’s Day. The steak is light, very flavoursome and easy to eat. The herb salad is also light and full of flavour and works well with the steak.
Whatever you do this Mother’s Day, make it a good one!