I don’t know about you but once Christmas and the New Year is over and done with, I look forward to cleaning out my system for a while. Cutting down on the sweet stuff and junk food, reducing alcohol intake to a reasonable level and generally letting my body recover from the rigours of the holiday season.
Striking the balance between recovery and being boring is a tough one. However, with recipes such as this steak teriyaki dish from James Martin, you can be healthy without losing flavour or being boring. This dish is anything but boring!
Healthy steak teriyaki
Try this great steak teriyaki recipe for yourself and see what you think. It comes with a kale salad to add a little extra healthy punch.
- 100ml sake or rice wine vinegar
- 100ml dark soy sauce
- 50g caster sugar
- 900g sirloin steak
- 100g kale, shredded
- 200g radish, topped and tailed and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 little gem lettuce, cut into quarters
- 2tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 4tsp white wine vinegar
- 6tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Combine the sake, dark soy sauce and sugar together in a bowl. Add around a third of the mixture into a ziplock bag and add the steaks. Cover the steak in the mixture and marinate for an hour.
- Add the rest of the mixture into a pan and bring to the boil and reduce by half. Then allow to cool.
- Put the cumin seeds, vinegar, mustard and 4 tbsp. rapeseed oil into a bowl and combine to make the salad dressing.
- Add the kale, radish, onion and lettuce to another bowl to create the salad.
- Cook the steaks on a hot griddle pan, grill or barbecue. Brush with the remaining mixture while cooking. Allow to rest for a couple of minutes before slicing.
- Serve with the remaining mixture and dressed salad.
I tried this recipe over the weekend and love it. Get a good quality steak and cook it just how you like it. The entire process takes 20 minutes and results in what is a very nutritious and tasty meal!
Here’s a video of the man himself preparing it.