After a fantastic bank holiday weekend, we thought it timely to create another barbecue post, but this time for one of our favourite fish. Sea bass is a ‘meaty’ fish with a delicate flavour that lends itself perfectly to being grilled or barbecued. It takes heat well, can be flavoured in any number of ways and is delicious. That makes it perfect barbecue food!
Whether you’re cooking a whole sea bass or fillets, the principle is the same. To cook the fish just enough to be safe and bring out the taste but not so much that you lose all those delicious juices. Here’s how.
Barbecue sea bass the right way
One of the core tenets we use here at The Stone Grill is ‘proper preparation is key’. This is very true whenever cooking fish. The more care you give the fish when preparing it for cooking, the better the end result. It is something we live by here and works just as well out there in the world too.
For sea bass it is often worthwhile using a fish basket to cook it in. This helps keep the fish whole during the process. You don’t have to of course, it just makes life easier sometimes. Either way:
- Make sure the sea bass has been properly gutted and scaled. Remove the head if you prefer or leave it in place.
- Rub oil and seasoning into the skin of the fish and add a marinade if you like. If using a marinade, leave for as long as possible before cooking to maximise the flavour.
- Add the fish to the basket or wrap in foil. If you want crispy or smoky skin, you may have to use the basket and forego the foil.
- Place on the barbecue and cook for 6-7 minutes on each side depending on how hot your barbecue is. Sea bass is cooked when the flesh falls from the bone.
- Remove from the heat, from the basket or foil if you used them and serve right away.
Sea bass is a very versatile fish that can take a wide range of flavours. You can keep it simple with a little salt, olive oil and lemon or go all the way with a herb infusion. You can also stuff the fish to maximise the flavour potential.
If all this sounds like a little too much trouble, drop by The Stone Grill. We can deliver all the flavour of fresh fish and fantastic seasonings directly to your table.