In what has seemed like a never ending spring filled with rain, grey and cloud, the sun is finally here. Just in time for Spring Bank Holiday on the 31st of May.
So, what better time to share a steak recipe I discovered during lockdown? Not barbecue, as the weather isn’t guaranteed but just as delicious and just as easy to cook and eat outside.
Plus, I love fajitas!
- 500g steak cut into strips
- 3 mixed peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped into wedges
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 8 corn tortillas
- 75g grated cheddar
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Salsa, guacamole and sour cream to serve
- Preheat the oven or barbecue to around 220°C.
- Add the steak, peppers, onion, oil and fajita seasoning to a bowl and mix
- Cut four strips of foil and divide the meat mix between them. Fold tightly into parcels and cook in the oven for 20 minutes
- Warm tortillas as per the instructions
- Divide the mixture between each tortilla and serve with the salsa, guacamole and sour cream
You can use whatever cut of steak you like as they will all work well. I used sirloin once and rump once and both tasted delicious!
You can make your own salsa and guacamole if you like or buy it. Both deliver the flavour punch we’re looking for!
While I have provided instructions for cooking in the oven, you can also cook them on the barbecue. Get the BBQ to temperature and place the foil parcels where they won’t overcook and check after 10 minutes. Just adjust the cooking time to suit.