With the weather picking up a bit and the wind and rain having (mostly) subsided, it’s salad season in Britain. The time when ingredients are fresh and local and we are more in the mood for something light and healthy rather than calorie-laden to help keep us warm. One of my favourite salads is this Thai-style steak salad recipe. It has a lovely kick that reminds your taste buds they are alive and I love it!
- 2 beef sirloin steaks, 250g each
- Olive oil
- 2 carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 6 radishes, trimmed and finely sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Bunch of mint leaves, shredded
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and shredded
- ½ large cucumber, trimmed, peeled, deseeded and sliced
- 2 baby gem lettuces, shredded
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 tbsp toasted peanuts to garnish
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 2–3 tbsp fish sauce
- Juice of 1–2 limes
- Season the steaks and rub into the meat. Make sure the meat is room temperature.
- Add the olive oil to a hot pan and fry the steak for 3 minutes each side. Remove and allow to rest.
- Add the garlic and chilli to a mortar and pestle and grind down. Add a pinch of salt, the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice to the paste and combine. Season to taste.
- Cut the carrots into ribbons and add to a salad bowl with the radishes, tomatoes, shallots, mint, spring onions, lettuce and cucumber. Add 5 tablespoons of the dressing and combine. Plate the salad.
- Thinly slice the steak and place on top of the salad. Top with the toasted peanuts.
- Cover with the remaining dressing and serve.
If you don’t have toasted peanuts, take some unsalted peanuts and chop them roughly. Add them to a hot dry pan, add a pinch or two of salt and fry lightly for a few minutes. As soon as they colour, remove and allow to cool.
I love this Thai-style steak salad. It is simple, can be ready in ten minutes and is delicious. You can tweak your levels of chilli, sugar and lime to taste and gives you a real summer feeling with the satisfaction of the steak. It’s a winner!